Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Burnt Sienna.


As a painter, I have acquired a heightened sensitivity to color. Every time I paint I strive to capture precise colors while mixing my paints. As I have progressed into forming my own individual technique and style, I have developed a growing addiction to certain colors. 

Specifically, my favorite paint color to mix into my palette is burnt sienna. I have nursed a serious addiction to burnt sienna. I love the effect of mixing it into every color. Whether it is a rich black or a sky blue, there are few colors in my paintings that do not include at least a touch of burnt sienna. I think that this obsession has formed due to my attraction to earth tones. Whenever I mix a color I subconsciously desire an earthy, vintage effect from my mixing. Burnt sienna typically produces this look. I have discovered my attraction to this certain effect and consequently employ my use of burnt sienna over and over again.

I suppose this devotion to a color merely once again proves me to be a creature of habit. I enjoy routine and when I find something I like I tend to be staunchly loyal. I'm often that girl that keeps on ordering the same dish over and over again at a restaurant instead of branching out and trying the other delicious options.

1 comment:

  1. My high school art teacher named her daughter Sienna. I thought it was such a beautiful name--but I always immediately associated it with "burnt."

    ReplyDelete