Friday, March 27, 2009

Blair.

One of my dearest friends is known for being the best at asking questions. She always asks the most engaging questions and instigates interesting conversation. Her inquiries are never attacking but merely a probing of people and a discovering of what makes them come alive. I say this with no exaggeration: she is the easiest person to talk to in my acquaintance.

She has taught me several things about conversation. Even though it may seem awkward to keep on asking questions at first, if you persist you will eventually hit on something to draw a person out of their shell. Why? She has observed that all people like talking about themselves. You just have to ask the right question - and sometimes it takes a couple of tries to find that right question that will get them going. The trick to finding it is listening.

Questioning is an art.
Listening is an art.

The more time I have spent with her the more I have developed in my own abilities as a questioner and a listener. Conversing with others is a skill which must be carefully developed and honed in order to master the art. The cliche rings true: practice makes perfect. 

1 comment:

  1. She's your friend who is going to be a nurse, right? Her gift for conversation should serve her patients very well!

    ReplyDelete