Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Moderation.

"Moderation in everything, even moderation."

My mother taught me this little quote when I was a child and I refer back to it in all aspects of life. When it comes to food, I attempt to eat in moderate healthy portions, but simultaneously I allow myself to indulge my cravings - in moderation, of course. I don't allow myself to feel guilty for these indulgences because if I overdo it, my body feels the effects. Through experience I choose to avoid binging on sweets and meats, and because I know how those foods will affect me it is no sacrifice to forego a few small pleasures.

The ill effects of the luxurious choices of the Romans only emphasizes the wisdom of moderation. It is only logical that Christianity began to place a taboo on overindulgence. Granted, they took it too far when they began to associate pleasure with damnation. This extreme attitude is merely the age-old legalistic stumbling block of the church... But they had a point: the outrageous feasting of the Romans boded little health. The Christians attempted to become the antithesis of the Romans, but they might have done better to strive for a balance.

We do not have cravings and pleasures for no reason. Humans are created to enjoy the fruits of the earth and therefore it is perfectly fine for us to occasionally binge on Sunchips or indulge in a box of chocolates. The trick is to find moderation in everything, even moderation.

2 comments:

  1. I really like your use of the word "balance." This is a word that has come to mean a lot to me in various areas of my life, and I think you bring up a wonderful point about balance and moderation in our eating habits. Balance is so important and necessary in our lives... Mental balance, physical balance, relational balance, etc.

    I love the quote from your Mom. Isn't it funny the ways in which some things just stick with us? I think she makes a great point. Sometimes it's easy to overdo the idea of moderation, so much so that we lose the whole meaning behind moderation itself.

    I admire your healthy habits, espeically knowing that you are a dancer. I took ballet for ten years as well, and I know how important a balanced life for a ballerina is...although I can't say I stuck with it quite as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moderation even in moderation: now there is an idea. I think that it is good to not guilt oneself for indulging occasionally in the sweet pleasures in life, which you relay in your post. Anyone who has had one too many (fill in the blank with object of desire)can attest to the fact that the feelings that result from overindulgence of any kind are enough to hinder future binges...at least, most of the time. Finding balance in everything, whether food, relations, or any other potential vice is the key to unlock true contentment in life. There must be order in all things...well, most things: sometimes disorder is fun and rejeuvinating, from time to time. We are creatures wired for pleasure, there is no doubt about that. It is important for us to indulge, occasionally, in things that bring us pleasure. Life without the "simple pleasures" would be too difficult to cope with and we would simply "be."

    ReplyDelete