Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Mary-Kate and Ashley.


The idea that everyone reads differently because of their unique life experiences reminds me of what it is like to be a twin.

Yes, I have an identical twin sister named Sarah Beth. When people learn this fact about me one of the first questions they ask is: "What's it like to be a twin?", closely followed by: "Can you read each others' minds?"

The answer to the former question: I don't know the difference. I only know what it is like to be a twin. For the entirety of my twenty years I have had someone in my life that looks just like me and shares my birthday. To be a twin brings a unique set of blessings and challenges. The gift of being a twin is that you can always have your best friend with you. Whether it was in ballet class or taking the SAT, Sarah Beth has always been the ally at my side. And what are the challenges of having a twin? Well, due to us doing everything together, people constantly compare us. We had to work hard not to build an unhealthy competitive relationship as we both strove to excel in the same fields.

The answer to the latter question: Yes and no. I don't believe there is a supernatural connection that allows us to read each others' minds, but because we have had very similar life experiences our minds tend to work the same way... Therefore we can usually guess what the other is thinking. It's only logical.

An important step in the life of a twin is individuation. It is particularly hard for us to find our own unique voice because we are acutely aware that there is someone in the world with whom we share our very DNA. As a twin I intensely identify with writers who are constantly seeking to find their individual voice. Whether it is dyeing our hair different colors or going to different colleges, twins find ways to separate ourselves from each other and learn to be our true selves.

No comments:

Post a Comment